Tuesday 26 February 2008

Realisation

Today I made out rough versions of the Ego, the Vessel and the Soul for my avatar project. As I now have rough versions of all the various characters, I had a go at putting them all together to get an idea of the finished project.
I sketched the Ego a few times, and tried moving his eyes further apart, making his main peeper massive, etc.

In terms of colour, I'd imagined the top of his head to resemble flames. In his current stage I haven't actually done this, but I can always change it in the final version. The Ego's 3D, erm, alter ego doesn't look quite as graceful as his sketchbook counterpart. I'd envisioned it to have the elegance of a swan, and instead it's taken on the chubby charms of a slightly ill goose.

Once again, for amusement's sake, I made him buckle under the weight of superior knowledge -


The Vessel and the Soul are also a mixed bag in terms of the end result.

The Vessel looks reasonable, slightly different to the sketches but kinda cool looking nonetheless. It's almost like a zombie frog. The Soul, at present, looks too much like a puppet from Play Days to me, I need to work on making it look more hopeful and optimistic, and less gormless...!


So, once they're all combined, they start to look like this -

I'm reasonably pleased with this, however I'd like to find out a way to smoothly blur the colours of the different heads with the the colour of vessel's neck, just to make it look a little more fluid. Various different bits of the faces and head shapes need shifting around, I think, and Super Ego's beard is probably a little too mighty at the moment (I must have just been carried away by the true beauty of a good beard...)!
Here's a fairly crude attempt at making them move -

I'll need to think a little more about how I want them to move, as if they're all just wiggling about, it'll look a bit lame. I'll spare it a thought and then wack it on here if I get a brainwave!

No comments: