Tuesday 12 February 2008

Super Ego (Plus Second Life Mayhem!)

Today I finally signed up for Second Life, and created my own personal avatar. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the snapshot feature to get a decent photo of it, but I'll try and get one soon! I tried to make it look more or less like myself, and it sort of almost does, heh! After getting to grips with the controls, figuring out where you had to wander to to change your appearance, etc., I started walking around the initial area talking to people. The first person I spoke to didn't speak any English at all, and the second approached me totally naked and said they were new, and wanted to know where they could get some clothes to conceal their virtual modesty, so I directed them to the place I got mine. The final person I interacted with was an unfortunate fellow who I accidentally smacked with a car, pushing him into the ocean. I apologised, but he remained silent. Funnily enough, hit-and-run in the virtual realm comes with none of the feelings of guilt I imagine it'd be accompanied by in reality... Still, I'd probably better not make a habit of it, just for etiquette's sake.
After this, I started flying about for a bit and was then kicked out of the room as a lesson was about to start there. Second Life seems quite entertaining in a slightly surreal way, I'll venture into the actual main hub next time!


I started work on my other 3D avatar today, and made a (very!) rough model of the Super Ego's head. I don't know why I started with the Super Ego (or SE from now on), maybe I was subconsciously drawn to it's sense of discipline as I sat down, readying myself for some serious work, and maybe I was just attracted by it's delightful beard. Who knows?
I sketched SE out from a few more different perspectives, just to get an idea of how it would look in the third dimension, and then constructed him out of a few basic shapes.

I had a little trouble making the nose, and a lot of trouble making the aforementioned delightful beard. I tried quite a few different shapes, and eventually settled on this one for the time being, even though I'm still not happy with it. I couldn't figure out how to fill in the centre of it, as I'd originally hoped to have a nice, satisfyingly full beard and then draw the mouth over the top, but every time there was a big gaping hole in the middle. With the beard I eventually went for, it does kind of look like the hole in it is actually his mouth, but it's not perfect. I think SE also needs smoothing over, as there are some parts of him where I joined two shapes together and they haven't quite stuck together as smoothly as I would have hoped, but it's totally cool to see SE starting to take shape in 3D. Just for my own personal glee, I made SE get himself flustered over some deep moral dilemma -

No comments: